Thursday, August 1, 2013

Favorite Beauty Products for Belly Dancers


The makeup, the glitter, the sparkle, the shimmer.  If you want to be involved in belly dance, you better like to play dress-up, because makeup and beauty products are required.  In a big way.  I've compiled a list of my favorite beauty and beauty-related products.  Whether a dancer, performer, planning a special night, or just heading to the office, I think you'll find something in this list to add to your makeup bag.
  1. Estee Lauder Daywear BB Creme: If I were to only apply one beauty product in the morning, this would be it. It's an oil-free antioxidant moisturizer and foundation in one. It goes on light, but provides exceptional coverage, so I use it for the stage as well.  And best of all, it has 35 SPF coverage, because I'm sure you never, ever leave the house without sun protection on, right?
  2. Sephora Collection Blotting Papers: I have a tendency toward afternoon t-zone oiliness.  I've never bought into the idea of applying a layer of powder over oil to mask shine.  Why not just remove it? These little blotting papers do the trick.  And now they come with added beneficial ingredients infused, such as tea tea oil, salicylic acid, lavender, or Vitamin C, depending on your skin concern.   
  3. Conair Ion Shine Hot Rollers: Hot rollers are the secret to creating volume, movement, and body in hair.  A Conair set from the drugstore works just fine.  I would recommend "jumbo" size to get big luscious waves.  (By the way, I wrote a whole blog post on hair care and styling here.)
  4. Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion: I used to apply eyeshadow and two hours later I would have big creases guaranteed.  Not anymore.  I apply this primer first and my eyeshadow stays in place.  Also great for beach vacations.  Use this product and your eyeshadow will still be on when you exit the water.
  5. Urban Decay Eyeshadow:  Apparently Urban Decay has it figured out when it comes to eye makeup.  Because not only do they make my favorite primer, they also make my favorite eyeshadow.  They have a broad spectrum of fun, bright colors, and many with that staple of the stage - glitter.
  6. M.A.C. Paint Pot: Another area where I used to have melting and smudged eye makeup.  This  cream eyeliner pigment goes on thick and dark, and then dries without becoming flaky.  Stays on through multiple sets and accidental eye rubs.  I never use any other type of eye liner anymore.
  7. Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Skin Creme Protectant: A Jill-of-all-trades skin product.  You can use it to gloss lips, shape eyebrows, smooth cuticles, protect cuts, and more.  I predominately use it over lipstick to add shine.  But I've also used it to effectively soothe rashes and irritated skin.  I also really like it for after performances to restore moisture to my lips after wearing heavy matte colors.
  8. Duo Eyelash Adhesive: That eyelash adhesive that came with your lashes? You can toss that straight into the trash.  Duo eyelash adhesive will ensure that through multiple performances your lashes will remain in place, rather that slowly migrating around to different parts of your face.
  9. Crest 3D White Strips Gentle Routine: I always keep a supply of these white strips on hand.  If I've had to much coffee and my teeth are looking less than white, I'll pop one of these in, which I've even been know to do on route to a gig.  I have sensitive teeth and gums, and as such can't use a number of whitening products on the market, but these are gentle enough to not cause any pain.
  10. Trader Joe's Tea Tree Oil: This is always another staple in my medicine cabinet. It's cheap and it works wonders on clearing up blemishes and helping heal scars.  If you're not near a Trader Joe's, pretty much any other brand that's 100% Austrlian Tea Tree Oil works just fine as well. 
  11. Dior Bronze Natural Glow Self-Tanner: Being a natural shade of pasty white, I've tried quite a few at-home self-tanners in my lifetime and this one is my favorite. It adds a nice subtle tanned glow, dries quickly, doesn't permanently stain clothes or sheets, and goes on streak-free, even for the novice self-tanner.
  12. Dermalogica MediBac Clearing Skin Purifying Wipes: Combine sweat, spray-tan, and hair products and you have a recipe for back acne, especially if you just let the combo sit on your skin and percolate. Enter the Dermalogica wipe. The salicylic acid in these wipes helps remove that film of junk from skin and minimize breakouts. Especially during summer time or when I know I'm a long ways out from a shower, I stash these in my bag and give my skin a quick wipe down after sweaty performances.  
  13. Yes to Cucumbers Natural Glow Facial Towelettes: These facial cleansing wipes require no water.  They are gentle enough for sensitive skin, but tough enough to take off your layers of stage makeup.  Great for on-the-go removal of excess makeup and perspiration after performances.
  14. Lancome Juicy Tubes: I am a slave to this hydrating lip gloss, and in particular, the Tickled Pink color.  Not enough color to wear alone on the stage, but great for every day or wearing over lipstick for added shine.
  15. Bauble Bar Jewelry: Love, love, love this site. I am a convert. I no longer buy jewelry from anywhere else. They have gorgeous jewelry at pretty reasonable prices, including free shipping and free returns. You also collect points for each purchase, which can be used immediately after on your next purchase to discount your price. Everything I've bought so far has stood up to wear and tear, with no broken clasps, missing gemstones, or tarnishing.
Your turn! What would you add to this list?

Photo Credit: Unknown

4 comments:

  1. its always better to buy beauty products by reading reviews. it should be natural and side effect free. i have find skin care products with great explanation of natural skincare products.find more

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog provided us with valuable information to work with. Each & every tips of your post are awesome. Thanks a lot for sharing. Keep blogging..
    Egyptian tabla

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate everything you have added to my knowledge base.Admiring the time and effort you put into your blog and detailed information you offer.Thanks.
    Beauty is golden

    ReplyDelete
  4. actually recognize all of the stuff made by way of the use of this weblog to let human beings recognize about writing and its merits. I introduced little more relevant points to my know-how which genuinely going to help me in coming destiny. Cellulite Behandlung Zürich

    ReplyDelete