Friday, August 16, 2013

Best of the Interview Series



This month marks the one-year anniversary of the wildly popular interview series. Each dancer who's been interviewed has shared such amazing insights with our dance community.  To commemorate, I read back through the interviews and pick my favorite quote from each dancer.

"The only way to find your voice in this dance is to DANCE. It took me a few years to get my true voice in this dance, and it was one of the best journeys I’ve ever experienced!" - Nadira

"I think there's room for all of us. We should all be sisters in the dance. As dancers, we are already on the fringe anyway, so it's a waste of energy to compete or argue. We should band together." - Dolphina

"There are three things that make a great dancer: technique, appearance, and stage presence....To be a good dancer, you need two of those three attributes. To be a great dancer you need all three. And I would say there's a certain charisma that makes up the last 10% that really tells you someone is a star. When you see it, you will know. The hair on the back of your neck will stand up because it is so perfect and so amazing. That's what it's all about. You will just know." - Mish Mish

"Dance is build on basics. Take the time to learn the dance and don't rush to get ahead." - Tamalyn Dallal

"Taking the stage is sacred, wait for it and know that you earned it....And remember that when you are on stage, your number one job is to make every audience member comfortable. No one should feel scared for you. "Introduce" yourself as the dancer and be confident. When you are comfortable, the audience will be comfortable and will be able to enjoy the performance. Then you can just be you and share what is in your heart. " - Malia 

"I know there's a lesson for me in every gig, and every dancer will experience audiences that are indifferent or even offended.  These situations demand of us to dance for ourselves in the moment.  When I find myself in a gig like that, where I just want to walk out, I have to remember, and am reminded, that there are always a few lives I touch no matter what." - Dahlia

"Whether you want to think of your dance as a business or not, it’s really important to determine how much time you want to invest in it. How much you put in, is how much you’ll get out of it."  - Ziva Emtiyaz

P.S. I know it's been a couple months since a new interview has come out.  Once I get through my wedding and honeymoon, I'll have some more time and interviews will recommence. Keep your eyes peeled!
 
Photo Credit (Left to Right): Dahlia, Nadira, Malia

No comments:

Post a Comment