Friday, September 16, 2011

Friendship


Last month I had the privilege of being a bridesmaid in one of best friend's weddings. Between myself living in Seattle, the bride living in Austin, and one of the other bridesmaid's living in London (lucky girl!) it was definitely a full-fledged friendship reunion, complete with catching up, manicures, champagne, and the occasional bout of happy tears.  And it got me thinking about friendship more.

Girlfriends really are a necessity in life: they cheer us up when we are down, tell us we look amazing even with those extra pounds, console us after a breakup, laugh with us over chick flicks, celebrate our achievements, and provide that sympathetic listening ear that frankly, men just can't quite match. I don't know what I've done to deserve it, but I have some pretty great friends.

I've had girlfriends send me flowers at work when they knew my mom was sick and in the hospital for an extended period of time.

I've had girlfriends throw me a surprise birthday party, complete with cake, on a day that wasn't my birthday as a makeup for all the b-day parties I missed as a kid from being raised in a strict religious family.

There have been numerous rides to the airport and assistance with moving; two tasks nobody likes doing.

I've received greeting cards in the mail for no other reason than just to say thinking about you.

I've had a girlfriend come pick me up and take me out to dinner, her treat, so I would stop sitting at home having a pity party by myself.

And I would like to think that hopefully, I am in return a good friend as well. 

As the bride, myself, and the other bridesmaid were leaving Austin the day after the wedding, due to last minute changes in flights and delays at security, we almost didn't missed each other in the airport.  After making it through security, I quickly headed to their gate, hoping they hadn't left yet.  The bride met me halfway, almost in tears at having to say farewell for a year or more, and the thought that they were going to jet off without saying goodbye. And the feelings were mutual. Which made me think – that is true friendship.

So to all my girlfriends, if I haven't told you or shown you lately - you are an amazing person and I'm honored to have you as a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment